Let’s face it, we put our hair though a lot: blowouts and dry winters, straightening and colouring. Whether you’re looking to repair dry, damaged ends or give your hair some deep conditioning heading into winter, bringing hair masks into your routine can make all the difference.
What is a hair mask, you ask, and how do you use it? We’ll share how natural hair masks done right can steep your hair in hydration for noticeable bounce, softness and shine.
WHAT IS A HAIR MASK?
Hair masks are a deep conditioning treatment for your hair, or even a conditioner you use regularly. They infuse the scalp and hair shaft with ingredients proven to nourish and smooth hair.
Here’s how we describe our Coconut + Pracaxi Deep Conditioning Hair Mask: “Skip the synthetic silicones and breathe actual life into dry and damaged hair. We packed this epic deep conditioning treatment full of the good stuff: the very best oils, proteins and extracts. Coconut, pracaxi oil and tucuma butter work together to moisturize, detangle, shine and soften. Try it once on fine, thick and/or wavy hair, and you’ll never use another conditioner.”
Many of us think about nourishing hair products when our hair is brittle from heat styling or processing and split ends are everywhere. While you can use a hair mask for split ends or damaged hair, if you use a hair mask regularly, you’ll improve the overall strength and health of your hair. Think of it as preventative maintenance.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF HAIR MASKS?
Natural hair masks have incredible power to restore your hair’s moisture and shine from root to tip. That’s what gives your hair total health, and it shows. The best hair repair masks enrich with nutrients that leave your strands softer, bouncier and smoother than ever.
Hair masks can be especially beneficial for:
- Damaged hair and broken bonds
- Hair loss
- Processed hair
- Curly and frizzy hair
- Hair exposed to hard water
If you have fine, thin or straight hair, you can also benefit from the moisturizing power of a hair mask. By applying more on the lower half of your hair rather than the crown, organic hair masks can help ensure you get the hydration without the weight.
WHAT’S THE SECRET TO OM’S HAIR MASK?
At Om, we set out to formulate a hair mask that would be uber nourishing by using the best organic ingredients—and no silicone. Many hair masks, and curly hair products in general, contain silicone. While silicone does reduce frizz, it creates an impenetrable barrier that can actually keep out much-needed moisture. That can leave you with hair that’s dry and brittle from the inside out, not even healthy at the shaft.
Introducing our Coconut + Pracaxi Deep Conditioning Hair Mask.
You’d be hard-pressed to find an organic coconut oil hair mask with top quality ingredients like this and the same price tag.
- Tucuma seed butter. With its high content of essential fatty acids, tucuma butter penetrates the hair follicle with ease, making it an excellent moisturizer. A moisture screen rather than the silicone ‘wall.’
- Pracaxi oil’s essential fatty acids support cellular renewal, stimulating blood flow to the scalp and sealing in hydration.
- Argan oil treats split ends and tames frizziness so your hair has manageability and gloss.
- Peppermint leaf extract, yucca leaf extract and coconut extract improve scalp health with a boost of blood flow, antibacterial treatment and nourishment.
HOW DO I USE A HAIR MASK?
Here are our top tips to get the most out of your hair mask:
1. After shampooing, smooth the hair mask over damp hair.
2. Use a wide-tooth comb to evenly disperse product throughout the hair.
3. Leave in 5 to 10 minutes then rinse thoroughly.
4. Use daily for intense treatment on damaged or frizzy hair, weekly as maintenance for healthy hair.
5. For even more radiant and healthy hair, try switching to a sulfate free (SLS free) shampoo and bump your wash days down to 1-2 days a week. We promise, with patience it’s possible and your hair will look and feel amazing.
If you’re traveling light, our Pink Coconut Body Oil can also be used as a hair oil. Learn more in our article Looking for a Good Natural Body Oil? Make Sure Yours Does These 5 Things.
OM IS A LINE OF PURE, PLANT-BASED, TOTALLY CLEAN SKIN AND BODY CARE DESIGNED TO HELP YOU FEEL MORE CONFIDENT, NATURALLY BEAUTIFUL AND BODY-POSITIVE. SHOP OM PRODUCTS.